3/20/2018 Lecture Notes: Sensor Journalism
March 20, 2018
12:30-12:40: Finds, and Assignment 3
- Let’s check out new finds in the slackchat
- Anyone feel good enough about their chatbot for the class to talk with it?
12:30-12:40: APIs and data privacy
- Facebook, Cambridge Analytica and the election
12:40-12:50: Field test
12:50-1:15: Sensor Journalism Presentation
1:25-1:40: Pair up and go shopping!
- Find a partner and go through Sparkfun.com together.
- Find examples of two sensors that could be used to tell stories in interesting ways. They can be used individually or together.
- Each team presents about your sensor journalism ideas
- Read through one of the Case Studies section of this report, beginning on page 45 (see link in #NTNM hashtag): http://towcenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Tow-Center-Sensors-and-Journalism.pdf
- Go to http://sparkfun.com and click on Sensors. Try to find the sensors mentioned in these case studies. Then, come up with a concept for a theoretical sensor array that could be used in a journalistic story.
- Post about both in a blog entry.