Assignment 8 Troubleshooting-Thomas Viola
By Thomas Viola
October 2, 2015
I really struggled right out of the gate on this assignment. My plan was to present data using NVD3’s line-with-focus chart to show how Netflix subscriptions are climbing at an exponential rate, while cable is losing members as subscription prices continue to rise. Compiling my data was not that difficult, thanks to a few news articles and the FCC’s own study results. However entering the data proved to be a different story.
The first issue I ran into was that my data was written in a quarter format; the time values were all in 20xx Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 format. This did not work well with NVD3’s seconds-since-1970 time formatting. To counteract this I changed all dates to the last day of the respective quarter, so that NVD3 would be able to understand them.
Unfortunately the issues did not stop there. The charts I tried using did not have variable test data points like the example from class did. I couldn’t figure out how to even enter my data points. I tried going through all 3 of the tutorials the assignment listed, but none seemed to address the problem I was seeing. I redownloaded the NVD3 package, just in case something had happened in my original file, but that didn’t help either.
I then went to the D3 website, where I downloaded the package from in the first place, and looked through some of their tutorials as well, but I still couldn’t figure out how to get my data into the graph. Finally I found the site’s version of jsfiddle, which let me edit the code from some of their graphs and see the results in real time, but all I seemed to be able to do was break the graphs when I tried to enter my data. At this point I had been at this for several hours, and finally decided to concede defeat and go make myself a quesadilla.