Introduce yourself as data!
January 1, 2015
Our first class exercise will be to introduce ourselves to each other as data. In addition to helping me get to know you and you to know each other, this is designed to familiarize you with how the class FTP works as well as get a sneak peak into how data from one place on the Internet can be made to appear somewhere else in a simple visualization. Just follow these steps.
- Take a selfie of yourself. If you don’t have a camera phone ask your professor to do it for you.
- Email your selfie to yourself, then download and open it in Photoshop. Resize the image to be 72 DPI and 300 pixels across. Save it as a Jpeg on your desktop with a simple file name with no spaces in it, such as your name.
- Follow the instructions to log in to the class FTP site.
- Upload your selfie in a named, dated folder inside Exercise1.
- Take note of all the folder names to bring your uploaded selfie up in a browser. (Hint: the URL will start with http://journovationsu.org/dataviz_s2015/Exercise1/)
- Finally, in a new tab go to this Google Doc and add a row with your information. Put the URL for your photo in the URL column.
If you did everything correctly, your image and information will start to appear below as well as on the home page of the class site.