Schedule is subject to change. Significant changes will be announced in class.
WEEK 1 – Welcome, and Wearables
April 5 Class: Welcome!
- Review syllabus and expectations.
- Go over the 5 technology categories.
- Look at some field tests and vision posts from previous classes.
April 7 Lab: Science Fiction, Science Fact.
We’ll watch a few sections of the scifi show Black Mirror and relate the predictions to today’s technology trends.
- Assignment 1: Blog post about your planned field test: Register for the class blog. Add your first post about something you have noticed in science fiction that has has or is about to come true. End by saying which technology category most interests you, and how you might use it in your own field test.
WEEK 2 – Virtual and Augmented Reality
April 12 Class: 360 video for VR, guest lecture from Professor Ken Harper.
April 14 Lab: Augmented reality, mixed reality and the Microsoft HoloLens. We also make a 360 video together.
- Assignment 2: Post a blog entry about what you experienced with HoloLens. How do you think augmented and “mixed” reality might affect your career in the future?
WEEK 3 – Reality Capture + Making
April 19 Class: Using Unity3D to create interactive scenes. How to 3D scan people and prepare them for 3D printing, or animate them using Mixamo.
April 21 Lab: Visit the SU Makerspace.
Assignment 3: Do one of the following:
- Capture content from the real world, process it and 3D print it at the Makerspace.
- Upload your 3D model to Sketchfab and annotate it to tell a story about the object.
- 3D scan yourself and upload your model into Mixamo to create an animated version of yourself. Put yourself into a Unity scene and publish it for Oculus.
WEEK 4 – Drones, Sensors
April 26 Class: All about drones.
April 28 Lab: Finish up on drones, talk about your field tests, presentation on sensor journalism.
Assignment 4: Blog post: how will drones impact your future career?
WEEK 5 – Field Tests
May 3 Class: Work on field tests.
May 5 Lab: Work on field tests.
Assignment 5: Sensors array concept.
Wednesday, May 11: Vision Post on the future of media, due by midnight. Post to the blog. Length should be the equivalent of a five-page paper in Word, double spaced with 12 point font.