#NTNM Voll – Assignment One
By Archive User
November 11, 2014
With the progression of technology moving in the direction of portable and personal electronics, the way that we consume news is very rapidly changing. I want to explore the opposite of that: opening up news in a much more public venue, where multiple people are encouraged to interact with a story at once. Just like Microsoft’s Kinect sensor fundamentally changed how we experience video games, it can also change the way that we tell stories.
I would like to test out how the Kinect sensor, when combined with a large screen in a public area, changes how people use media, and answer several questions:
- How can it best be used to convey information and data?
- How can we make such an interface intuitive, so anyone walking by can interact with it?
- How should such an interface be designed?
- What types of stories work well? (e.g., longform vs. short, video vs. graphics, deeply interactive elements, etc.)
- What are the benefits of storytelling in a public area?
- How can such a medium be utilized for other forms of media, such as advertising?